Wednesday 11 September 2013

To volunteer, or not to volunteer

      This was a thought that crossed many exchange students' minds when we were offered a wealth of different student organisations to not just join, but to also give our free time to.

For me however, it was not something I had to question or think about. After previously volunteering at RTRFM radio station back in Perth before leaving for Bergen, I couldn't wait to have access to more volunteering opportunities.

Since my orientation, there are two student organisations who I am volunteering my time to: Kvarteret and Hulen.

Here I've included a little description of each:

Kvarteret: The full name is actually Det Akademiske Kvarter, but everyone calls it Kvarteret (pronounced like Quartereh or at least that's how I've been pronouncing it and no one has corrected me yet...). It means in English "The Academic Quarter", and it really is because it's a students hang out place, in my last post ("It's a student's life") I wrote about how I wished Perth had it's own place similar to this. During the day you won't find many activities on at Kvarteret, but you'll still see loads of students studying solo or in groups, or just talking over food and drinks. Then come the evening, the place turns into a playground of different happenings - there are concerts, debates, films, quizzes, just to name a few. It's been running since 1995 and it hosts around 2200 events every year, and what's amazing is that it is completely run by students who volunteer their time. There are different volunteer positions including bartenders, security, pr, lighting and sound equipment tech, djs among the main groups, but there are many other positions available too.

I've been volunteering in the "skjenkegruppen" (literal meaning "to pour") which is the bartender group, but it is not just solely bar work, it includes working as a barista too. I've been working only for a few weeks but so far I am loving it - it can be quite stressful at times when it gets busy because not only am I having to learn something new but I am also having to learn something in a foreign environment as most people order in Norwegian and all the options on the register are in Norwegian too, but this makes it a great opportunity for me to learn some new skills as a barista/bartender AND learn some Norwegian too. Even though it is unpaid work, Kvarteret provides valuable experience to the students who volunteer their time - this is not solely through the shifts we work, but they also offer courses for free which we are able to attend, for example, coffee courses and beer courses. The aim of offering these courses is not just to give workers the opportunity to learn something new, but Kvarteret wants to try and help students get practical experience in skills that will help them with applying for a part-time/vacation job whilst completely their studies.

To be honest, I am actually just excited to learn more about coffee and beer so I can impress my family and friends with my wealth of knowledge and skills in those areas!

Hulen: This club is much older than Kvarteret, and it is quite different in comparison. Hulen first opened in 1969 and it's name in English means "The Cave", this is because it is actually an old bomb shelter underneath the Nygårdshøyden park. When inside, you actually feel like you are in a cave, with the natural rock walls and damp feel (but it's a dampness in a good way), and you lose mobile reception so it gives you this feeling like you've left the world, gone to some new lost place and just immerse yourself solely in the music and atmosphere, so when you walk outside again it's as if you have stepped back into reality and out of your dream. Since being converted to a student rock club, Hulen has continued to host many concerts and music events. Whereas Kvarteret is dubbed the "culture hub", Hulen definitely takes the title of the "music hub". It prides itself on promoting the new local bands of Bergen trying to make it in the music industry, and many Norwegian bands (particularly those from Bergen) who have now gained success globally, most likely played their first gigs at Hulen. One band in particular was Young Dreams, who are from Bergen originally, and who have now become known in other parts of the world, including Australia, one of their first shows was hosted at Hulen. Again, the student club is solely run by volunteers and has similar positions to Kvarteret (except Hulen isn't opened during the day so there is no cafe, but many bars).

I am in the plakatopphenger group at Hulen, which means my job is to tape posters all over the city to promote the upcoming gigs at the club. This may sound boring, but it actually is a lot of fun, because not only am I first to know about the upcoming concerts for the week/month but I also get to visit other cafes/bars in Bergen which are associated with Hulen. I feel like through putting up the posters at these different places I am becoming known to the staff as a local and so if I go there on my days off they will remember who I am and welcome me with open arms (well that's my illusion anyways). Plus since these places are associated with Hulen, volunteers who dedicate their time are usually offered discount at these various cafes and bars, so there are many perks to the job.


I had thought about volunteering at more places, but with my university courses and travelling, these two are plenty to keep me busy and occupied. 

Yet it is not just me who loves to volunteer, there are many exchange students who are dedicating their free time to these organisations too, but the majority of volunteers are the Norwegians students - both the locals from Bergen and the others who have moved from various places in the country. They love to dedicate their time to at least one thing, and it's incredible to see so many of them actually want to give their time and volunteer.

The University of Bergen actually did a video on many of the student organisations (which are all run by volunteers), so feel free to check it out: http://vimeo.com/59572942

The students who volunteer in Perth are few in comparison to the students here, and the attitude is completely different. In fact, back home, some of my friends think it's bizarre how much I want to volunteer, there opinion is generally "why would you give you're time to something that you're not getting paid for" (and I have heard that attitude from some of the exchange students here too), but I don't think about the fact I'm not getting paid. I volunteer because I love the experience I gain from it and all the great people I get to meet, and that to me is something I don't need to be paid for, it's priceless love :)

No comments:

Post a Comment