Saturday 3 August 2013

First 2 days of my new, but temporary, life in Bergen


So I've managed to get Internet while I wait until I get my wifi from the university (which won't be until next week), so that explains why there has been a bit of a delay on the blog posts. However I wrote down how I was feeling from my first 2 days here in Bergen, so this is them:

NB: I apologize if they sound whinging or sad, but I was in a down mood for the first 2 days, but I am better today, but I wanted to express the truth anyways.


Day 1 – 1/08/13:


Feeling very despondent and lonely. I have no appetite. I feel lost. I expected to be surrounded by exchange and international students, but so far have not. I still haven’t met anyone in my house. Not had a friendly chat with anyone except the Netcom (mobile service) workers who had to help me so much today.

Things didn’t go smoothly, but that’s going to happen. Arrived at the airport fine and got my bags pretty quickly, then the bus was already there waiting and the bus driver was very helpful to me in regards to telling me which stop to get off and calling it out once we had arrived. I got to the bus station and that’s when things started to become stressful… My bags were heavy and I knew there were lockers but although I had plenty of cash I did not have plenty of coins. So I had to go to the newsagents and get them to change money for me. All good. However my suitcase took up the whole room in the locker, and I still had another 2 smaller bags to get in. So I had to go back to the newsagent and get more money changed to coins. Cost me a total of 120NKR, but I’m not sure how much that is in Australian, so perhaps it wasn’t too expensive, I’ll have to find out.

After that I walked from the bus station (which conveniently is a big shopping centre too) to the student centre to get my house keys. That was a slight challenge at first too, because I didn’t know what direction to go after leaving the bus station. I asked the lady in the florist, and before I asked her my question I asked “Snakker du engelsk?” (Do you speak English?) Because I thought that would be more polite asking. She replied back something in Norwegian and I think she meant she only spoke Norwegian (which is odd considering everyone told me they speak really good English here), she did help me though, but it was little English spoken from me and broken English from her – I think she does know how to speak English but was messing me perhaps -_- She did give me the right directions though, thankfully. And boy! What a trek it was! Thank goodness they suggested putting luggage in the lockers, I would not have been able to handle walking up those hills with many heavy bags! I struggled enough with my one heavy bag, and was sweaty profusely, again annoyed at how deceiving the temperature is here. It wasn’t too bad once I got to the student centre, got my keys sorted then walked back to the bus station to get a SIM card and my bags.

I had trouble with my SIM card, the system was down so they gave me another one instead (which was an old but still valid card) and after I arrived back at my house (I got a taxi, there was no way I was going to walk that with bags, it’s even further than the student centre and I probably would have got lost), I opened up the card and it’s one that doesn’t fit an iPhone 4s
:( I wanted to cry, I hadn’t been able to get into contact with anyone to let them know I was actually ok. (Damn Optus why won’t you work overseas! I could have used it for one day!!!) So I didn’t unpack but instead walked back to the student centre (because I couldn’t work out how to find my meter and call the electricity company – it’s still not solved, I called the electricity company and they have no idea about the issue, so have to go back to student centre tomorrow since it was closed by the time I got my phone sorted and could actually call the electricity company). I also had to sort out my phone, so walked back and by this time the system wasn’t down so I could purchase the original one I wanted (they gave it to me for free which was nice because of the stuff up). After a few failed attempts with my phone the SIM eventually began to work – I must of gone in to Netcom (the provider) about 5 times in one day, the people were so helpful and friendly though so that was fortunate.

What’s been getting me really down though – because once I got my phone sorted everything was fine – is the fact that it’s really quiet in the house, I’m not sure if there are people living here or not, I heard music from room, passed a girl in the hallway (although we didn’t get chatting
:( ) and have seen boots outside someone’s room, so there MUST be people here. I eventually found the common room though, which made me feel a bit happier, but there was no one in there so I’ll have to keep looking and listening out. I’d really like to get to know the people here though, I’d be devastated if I end up here for 6 months and am bounded to my room once I’m back from uni. Hopefully I won’t be spending too much time in my room though – only for sleeping, showering and studying. A part of me has regretted my decision of choosing this house – which actually was my first preference so I should be thankful – but I feel really out of my depth here. EVERYTHING is in Norwegian, I am literally lost in translation, and while I did learn a little of the language, I definitely cannot understand any of it. It makes me disappointed and annoyed at myself, because everyone told me they speak English really well, and most people will speak English, so I was expecting to see some translations, especially in a student hostel. I mean surely I mustn’t be the only non-Norwegian living here? I am getting worried. Although it will be nice to think I am living with Norwegians, but I think it will be hard trying to break their barrier, unlike exchange and international students who are in the same boat as me so most likely willing to talk. At this point, a part of me wishes I chose Fantoft, which is the main student accommodation, and it’s only full of international and exchange students. But as much as I may have spoken to people there by now (unlike here) it’s still 20 minutes train journey from the city centre and more importantly the uni! So I feel some benefits here because I can walk easily to the centre and the uni is pretty close, AND all the museums are right near me too which I think is pretty neat. Going to check them out tomorrow I think.

So I still feel under-prepared, overwhelmed, lonely and completely lost. Tomorrow is a new day, so hopefully it’ll bring some new joy and make me feel a little more at ease. As for now, I will console myself with watching Girls Season 2 again, because watching movies or TV shows always cheers everyone up, especially me.

Day 2 – 2/08/13:

Things are getting better, which I had hoped. I got up and although the weather was miserable – pouring with rain with thunder and lightning – I was in a pretty good mood, because I thought it’s a new day, anything can happen. First of all I went to the student welfare service that deal with my housing to finally try sort out my electricity. They had no idea how to help me and suggested I email the electricity company. I felt pretty defeated after that; I was hoping to get that sorted straight away. So I walked back home to deal with the electricity company again, I had a little cry before I called though because I just couldn’t believe everything seemed to be going wrong, but once I got on the phone to them they were extremely helpful and they said they would call me back once they had it sorted. I am finding the Norwegians very friendly and helpful when you are in a struggle, it is nice, as they actually seem to have your best interests at heart. I then decided then to take matters in my own hands and write a note for the notice board at my student house. I wrote a few lines in Norwegian explaining my name and where I was from and that I spoke little Norwegian, then wrote in English that I don’t know anyone in Bergen, or in Norway for that matter and it would be really lovely to meet some of the people who are also living here, then signed saying I would be in the common room later anyways so might possibly see some of them then. The rest of my day I went back to SiB and got my books for uni, whilst I was there I also managed to get on to free wifi (which is really hard here) so I could finally Skype my family – it was so good to actually be able to talk face to face (even if via webcam) and hear their loving voices, it made me feel a lot better and a little less lonely. I also emailed a young woman who I know mutually from the amazing staff at RTRFM, and they got me into contact with her since she is from Bergen. I emailed her to see if she was in Bergen so we could catch up as it would be nice to talk to someone (she emailed back and we are hopefully catching up next week some time :) ). I did email the people at SiB who had sent me the electricity forms and asked them about it, and finally and fortunately they had fixed it and needn’t worry no more. I also visited the Bergen Museum which is really cool (and I got in for free because I am a student :) ) but I felt sad looking at some of the animals they had displayed because there were so many that are now extinct, and it just reminded me how greedy the human race is, killing animals until extinction. I mean sure maybe back in those days they wouldn’t of thought about the population of animals, but common sense should have been used.

Feeling elated I walked around the town, not knowing exactly where I was going (I really wanted to find Rema1000 which is the main supermarket, I still haven’t found it, only have Rimi to consolidate my needs at the moment), but it was great walking around with no exact direction as I managed to find – through following the crowds of people – the main city centre where they had heaps of games on, lots of buskers and loads of people enjoying the warm sun that had come out to play. I also soon discovered one of the main places I have been wanting to visit, the Torget fish market! It’s smaller than I expected, but nonetheless it was still amazing and there were loads of different stalls there too: there was the authentic Norwegian knitwear (which I am definitely investing in one), troll dolls and Viking ornaments (another thing I will eventually get too), and there was even moose sausage! I think I will have to try it but I didn’t get any for now. I didn’t see any whale meat either which I expected to see, but I didn’t have a huge look around so I could have missed it, but their seafood is massive! They have huge lobster and crab!!! I walked around a little more and then found Bryggen (town) right there too! The houses were so pretty, just like everyone said, but I had no idea it was right next to Torget, literally on it’s doorstep. Whilst I was there I visited the tourist information centre and got many pamphlets (and a map of Bergen, finally) so this weekend and beginning of next week I’m going to do many tourists activities. The one I’m really looking forward to is “Norway in a Nutshell” which is a day trip that takes you to all the best sights in a day, and more importantly you get to see many of the fjords! I’m hoping to do it Monday but apparently you have to buy your tickets the day before, and from what I hear on Sundays many places are closed, which could possibly mean the tourist office, but I will head down there tomorrow to find out because while I’m there I’m going to do a Bergen sightseeing bus trip to help me get to know more of the city.

So tomorrow I’m planning on going on the CitySightseeing Bergen which has 12 or so stops, depending on how long that goes for I might also visit Mount Ulriken which supposedly is Bergen’s highest viewing point boasting 643metres above the city centre. I am also wanting to go on the Fløibanen Funicular Railway which is very famous in Bergen, it takes you up to Mount Fløyen, but while the views from the top are amazing, the journey up is just as amazing itself – so I have read. But it sounds really cool, it is a like a train which goes up a mountain and takes only 7 minutes to get up the height of 320 metre above sea level.

Anyways, enough of that, back to todays adventures. When I arrived back from wandering around the streets of Bergen, I went to the common room to make myself dinner (because there is an oven and microwave in there, whereas my kitchen only has 2 hot stoves
:( ) and also I finally worked out the TV so got to watch a bit of that (not every channel is Norwegian, I enjoyed watching many episodes of The Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother). Whilst I was in there, one of the residents came in to drop off a DVD, but after a few introductions we started talking about the house and what we were both studying at the University of Bergen. His name is Ole and he is from Oslo – I told him I found it odd that he would move from Oslo to Bergen, surely it would be the other way around, but he said he wanted to move to be self-sufficient and not depend solely on his family, I’m pretty sure he said he has been living in this house for 3 years. To be honest, while I love my little room, there is no way I could live here for 3 years, I think 6 months is enough for me. It was really good to finally meet someone else who lived here (he had seen my note too), and I soon discovered that most of the residents here are Norwegian (as I had suspected) but when I told him I had thought maybe I should of gone to Fantoft instead, he said that this place is better because he thinks it’s more social and everyone gets on well. I further discovered why no one seemed to be here, he said everyone is still on holidays and won’t be back until next week or the week after when uni starts. So I feel a little relieved.
I met a family staying here too, only briefly though since it was because I set off the alarm for the common room by accident but they explained to me how to fix it and said the same thing happened to them when they first moved in. I think it’s going to be nice here, everyone seems friendly, but it is very Norwegian, so I wonder if I will fit in well with the language barrier. I’m sure I will learn some more and hopefully they can help me, but I highly doubt I will be fluent by the end of this trip, or if I am I think that would be a miracle.

However I will end this with not so much a negative statement, just a sombre one. Norway has not been as easy as everyone had said to me before I left, i.e. past exchange students and in particular a blog I read about a British student who came on exchange to Bergen too. I was told, “Oh you’ll be fine getting around without knowing the national language, basically everyone speaks English anyways” so I thought well maybe they won’t get annoyed like the French or Italian do when you speak English to them, but it’s a lie, while the Norwegians have been extremely friendly and not rude at all, I feel like they must get slightly annoyed that I don’t speak to them in their national language, I don’t want them to just ‘assume’ that I am ignorant of their language, because I’m not I am trying to learn but it’s just taking it’s time with all the other study I am doing and stuff I am sorting out. Furthermore, the blog I read, I thought it was giving me good insight into what it’s like once you’ve first arrived and are getting prepared for uni, but the writer made it sound so peachy keen, and it’s not been peachy fucking keen at all. She didn’t know Norwegian either! When I read her blog, she said how she had arrived got her keys and went to Fantoft and she didn’t have any difficulty with direction nor did she seem to be lost in translation with anyone, and she seemed to know where everything bloody was! She somehow immediately knew where Rema1000 was which I still have yet to come across despite me seeing many bags and following crowds of people to see if it’ll lead me there, and she didn’t have any issues fitting in. She made a friend on day one, her neighbour or something at Fantoft, and everything went along with that with all dream-like ambience. I mean I don’t know if this girl did have problems and just didn’t write about it, but I think it might of helped if she wrote just a little about it, because it made it so misleading for me. I know once I have orientation next week and meet some more international students, and get started at uni, and meet more of my housemates, that everything will start falling into place. But right now it’s been hard without no Internet (I have got a mobile broadband prepaid until I get my uni wifi next week, but it doesn’t appear to be working, so have to get that sorted out tomorrow, like everything else I seem to be having trouble with) and obviously still not really knowing anyone. I’m a girl who likes her independence and space, but I have never felt more alone in my life.

My friends back home used to say I was brave for travelling when I was 18, but I wasn’t really because I had a family and friend base all over the UK and I was with a tour group throughout my travels of Europe, no this journey is really testing my bravery, courage and strength. However, as I keep saying, I know I will get through it if I just push on past the struggle, it will not defeat me. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tash just finished reading your first observations I can only hope that it will all uphill from here. I just had a giggle to myself you said it was hilly. Love you loads take care love Nan xx

    ReplyDelete