Monday 17 June 2013

Time To Wander Again...

As soon as I had turned 18, I left all my friends and my family behind to go traveling Europe for eight months. When I came back to the sleepy town of Perth, nothing had changed. I mean sure the city was changing - more stores were being built, roads were changed, housing estates were appearing everywhere - but the people hadn't and everyone was still doing the same things and seeing the same people, and nothing seemed new.

I had itchy feet to go travel again about a two weeks after being back home in the same routine.

Unfortunately, I had no cent to my name when I came back, and needed to save money again was a high priority, and there was also something else blocking my rush to travel: my university studies.

I had already taken a gap year, and then the plan was to get my degree finished as soon as I could. If I still wanted to travel for months or years I could afterwards.

When I first went to the open day for the university a year before I traveled, an ex-student gave a presentation for the prospective communication & media students of her time in the degree. She had mentioned she went on exchange through the university to study in another country for either one or two semesters. The idea of being able to travel somewhere new whilst still earning my degree intrigued me greatly.

As soon as I started university I waited eagerly for the applications to study abroad opened and consistently was searching all the possible places I could go.

In March, six months after the application process was opened,  I was given a place for the University of Bergen in Norway.

I chose Norway because I knew that studying would be my best, and perhaps my only, chance at living in Scandinavia, and now I will be calling Bergen home for seven months.

My friends and family suggested I should start a blog, and the best way to commit to it would be through documenting my travels.

I tried starting a blog when I first went traveling solo at 18, but it failed terribly (I didn't even create the blog site). However, now at 20, I feel I am a little more wiser, and more importantly, I am more organised so hopefully I will commit to this blog and put as much love in it as I would any written work I do.

My new adventure, and my time to wander will begin again in only a week's time...

And every night upcoming to my flight I will be dozing off thinking of one Norwegian proverb, Berre den som vandrar, finn nye vegar, which means Only he who wanders, finds new paths...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tash your mum gave me your blog site and I am so happy that I will be able to travel with you and see the world through your eyes. You have always been eager to learn and you have a compassionate heart I am so pleased that I will see you growing with so much new knowledge. Take care and be safe love you loads Nan and Grandadxxx

    ReplyDelete