Thursday 4 July 2013

Lost in London

Even though I have visited London many times and can remember some of the ways I know, there are still loads more places that I have no sense of direction in, but that's all part of the fun!
I wander around trying to find paths that may lead to something exciting - on the one hand it might lead me to a dead end, or nothing interesting at all, although on the other hand there could be something that I never noticed was there before.

This happened to me when I visited Covent Garden yesterday - I last went to the markets there around five years ago, yet while I can remember many things I couldn't really remember this place vividly. When I exited the station, I didn't even go the right way to the markets, I thought to myself "just wing it, you'll eventually find your bearings". I walked down a long round which from a distance seemed to hold something appealing at the horizon and then I ended up finding myself at Leicester Square. Sitting in the centre park I noticed people with M&M bags, but I didn't really think too much of it, until... I turn around about to head back up to find another path when I suddenly see M&M's World.

I have always had this spoken to me from other visitors to England, but I never recalled myself actually going inside myself. As soon as I walked it, the place smelled amazing, you are greeted with a massive whiff of chocolate, making it even more inviting.


                                          ^ It sure is!

       ^ It might not look it from the picture, but this is actually completely made from M&Ms ^

I restrained myself this time (unlike in Choccywoccydoodah) and just looked without succumbing to become the next holder of an M&M World bag.

Instead I wandered back to Covent Garden and was immediately filled with memories of my time visiting the markets with my family when I was 15 years old. So while I didn't find anything new, I did re-find my previous childhood memories.

The point of this post wasn't just to show M&M World (another chocolate tourist attraction one should visit) but to demonstrate how wandering around and getting lost instead of sticking to a controlled map or itinerary can be so much more beneficial to your journey. I didn't expect to find M&M World, or even expect to stumble in Leicester Square which is a place I had completely forgotten about.

Wandering is the best journey to have because it rekindles your memory of past and old paths (like for me with Covent Garden markets), but also presents new paths to discover too.

No comments:

Post a Comment