Thursday 25 July 2013

Edinburgh

The perks of staying in Dunblane is that it is so close to Edinburgh, and Edinburgh is my favourite place in Scotland. I'm not sure why, but I could easily live there, there is always something going on but it's not manic and crowded like London is. The only real thing that bothers me is that it rains quite frequently, but as my cousin stated to me today you should just learn to always bring an umbrella with you.

I must learn this habit once I get to Bergen, which I fear may rain almost everyday (from what I'm told and from what I hear, however these rumours could perhaps prove false once I see for myself...)

So today my cousin and I took a day trip to Edinburgh for some well deserved shopping (although I was playing more of a personal shopper role to my cousin and not spending the big bucks - even though I was tempted to), and also for some well deserved food (and this I did not hold back on). I love paying just that bit more for a meal because you know it's always going to taste amazing (it better!) just like you know paying more for clothes will mean the quality of fabric should be higher. We went to a place called "The Dome" (not like the cafe 'Dome' in Australia) and when we entered it I was in awe, there were high ceilings with huge chandeliers and the big doors were opened to a room gleaming with light and the hustle and bustle of waiters, and we were heading through those doors. My cousin had been here before and highly recommended it, her opinion has always been good in the past so I had a feeling it would be great. We both ordered a cocktail - I've forgotten the name but it had elderflower in it - whatever it was it went down a treat for me, it was very similar to a mojito: fresh and with a slight bite to it, but not overpowering in sweetness (I've gotten past really sweet cocktails as they always make me feel bloated and sluggish, and I find it takes many of them to get yourself drunk). For our meals, my cousin ordered halloumi cheese on a bed of vegetables and crusty bread, and I was really hungry at the time so went for the steak, mushroom and ale pie - perfectly heartwarming and the meat was slow cooked to perfection.

It was worth coming to The Dome, not just for good food but for the brilliant ambiance it offered there. Sitting in The Dome we felt like we were extremely important people being doted on by all the waiters and waitresses - yet we did see the VIP section and felt a little rejected, but it's nice to daydream.

After our grand feed, we did some more shopping, or more like my cousin did some more shopping and I happily followed along. I was much happier than I was in the morning because my stomach was finally full :) but as we waited for our lunch to wear off we got prepared for the best part of the day: afternoon tea at The Chocolate Lounge.

The Chocolate Lounge is in Harvey Nichols (which is a massive store with really only designer brands, a bit like the British version of Australia's David Jones). It does offer some foods that aren't covered in chocolate (last time I was here I had smoked salmon with crusty bread and salad), but the menu of course does cover an extensive range of chocolatey delights. I had one of those moments where my eyes were bigger than my stomach and I ordered a frozen mocha along with a shared mixed fondu between my cousin. I should of just shared the fondu, the drink (while it was yummy) did push my limits too far in regards to my stomach's capacity. It's called mixed fondu because basically there is dark chocolate and white chocolate which they then mixed together into a swirly pattern. Although I was unsure of it first, it was absolutely delicious, the mixing of the two actually went really well (but I was happy to see the dark chocolate overpowered the white because I find white chocolate a little too sweet for my liking).

Like always, it was a brilliant day visiting Edinburgh, however this time I think I overate way past my limit and I did end up leaving Edinburgh for Dunblane with a new bump, my food baby.

^ With the fondu you get a selection of strawberries, marshmallows, brownies, bananas, and a lemon pastry tart. ^

The strawberries and bananas will always be my favourite fondu choice :)

No comments:

Post a Comment